Cloud Strife is a playable character and the main protagonist in Final Fantasy VII Remake. Cloud is capable of wielding large broadswords in battle and has the strongest Limit Breaks in the game. In the remake, players can now switch to different characters depending on the battle situation. Players can also stick with the same character and issue orders to party allies.
This is a one time gig. When it's done, we're done.
Cloud Strife Information
The main protagonist of the game. An ex-SOLDIER: first class, Cloud came to Midgar to start a new chapter of his life as a mercenary. At the invitation of his childhood friend, Tifa, he accepted a job with Avalanche. He may bring his buster sword to bear against Shinra troopers, but he does not care for the plight of the planet. For him, this is a job and nothing more.
Cloud Strife was born in the mountain village of Nibelheim, where he grew up alongside a girl who was a year younger than him, Tifa Lockhart. At a young age, his father died he was raised by his mother, which resulted in Cloud having difficulty with getting along the other children in the village, as well as his coping mechanism. In spite of Tifa and Cloud being considered by the villagers to be childhood friends, Tifa didn't acknowledge it since she felt that they were not close growing up.
At the age of nine, Tifa's mother died, and feeling depressed, she went to Mt. Nibel, believing that the soul of the deceased went there. Cloud decided to follow Tifa, but during their journey to the mountain, Tifa missed a step and Cloud tried to catch her but ended with both falling into a pit. Cloud was able to escape but Tifa's life was in grave danger. Cloud had to return to the village to seek help, which they were able to save Tifa. However, the villagers blamed Cloud, saying that it was his idea of going up the mountain and bringing Tifa along. Following this event, Tifa's father forbade Cloud from seeing or even approaching her; Cloud, who is already troubled mentally, developed an anger issue that led him into getting into unnecessary fights for no reason.
When Cloud turned fourteen, he learned about the legendary SOLDIER Sephiroth and wanted to be just like him, a hero. Cloud then decided to leave the village in order to become a SOLDIER. Before his departure, he told Tifa about his plan and promised Tifa that he would save her life if ever she was in trouble.
Cloud Strife Strengths
Cloud specializes in close-range combat. Press the button to strike, and hold it down to unleash a powerful attack. The button activates Cloud's unique skill mode shift, allow you to switch modes during battle.
Unique Skill: Mode Shift
Cloud's mode shift ability allows him to switch between his balanced operator mode and his-attack oriented punisher mode.
Operator Mode: In Operator Mode, Cloud can execute fast attacks, guard against ranged attacks and magic. Operator mode is the default mode Cloud is in when he is in battle. Holding the button during combos will cause Cloud to unleash a sword slash in a wide arc that can hit multiple enemies.
Punisher Mode: In Punisher Mode, Clouds moves more slowly, but the button unleashes a more powerful attack than usual. In addition, Cloud launches a counterblow every time he guards an enemy's melee attack. He cannot, however, guard against ranged attacks or magic. Holding the button during combos will cause Cloud to unleash an overhead swing and stab his sword on the ground. If Cloud uses the button to dodge roll, he will switch back to Operator Mode.
Cloud's attributes are overall very balanced, allowing him to fulfill well both the role of a physical fighter and magic user. His strength is the highest in the game, his magic the second highest (after Aerith's), with his other attributes being above average.
Cloud Strife Weapons
Broadswords are weapons that are exclusive to Cloud Strife. Broadswords are enormous in size and are capable of cutting and punishing foes with fast and heavy attacks. Check our Weapons page for a full list of all the weapons in Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Click the header to sort the table.
Cloud Strife Abilities
- Braver: Jump into the air and strike your foe with a powerful attack.
- Focused Thrust: Lunge toward an enemy with a piercing strike that hits multiple times. Significantly increases stagger.
- Triple Slash: Slash three enemies in quick succession, dealing more damage with each blow.
- Infinity's End: Wind up and unleash an overhead strike. Increased damage on stagger.
- Blade Burst: Non-elemental ranged attack.
- Counterstance: Prepares a counter for strong damage.
Cloud Strife Limit Breaks
- Cross-Slash: Damage your foe while making ominous symbols with your slashes.
- Ascension: Focus on a single enemy and deliver several powerful strikes. Significantly increases stagger.
Cloud Strife Notes & Tips
- Switching between the two modes is key, analyzing enemies and their attack patterns to get the most out of each stance.
- Punisher Mode's attacks are very lengthy, which can put Cloud in vulnerable situations if enemies attack him with more powerful attacks that can knock him down. Be wary when using it.
- While in Punisher Mode, Cloud cannot perform aerial attacks. Keep that in mind when fighting flying enemies.
- Make sure to use Focused Thrust when enemies are pressured to increase their stagger gauge.
- Blade Burst actually counts as a magical attack, capable of dealing damage to enemies immune to physical attacks.