Tifa Lockhart is a playable character in Final Fantasy VII Remake. Tifa specializes in martial arts and focuses in close-range combat, being capable of delivering fast and strong blows that can inflict devastating damage against her foes. In the remake, players can now switch to different characters depending on the battle situation. Players can also stick with the same character and issue orders to party allies.
I know we have to think big if we're going to make a difference... But not like this.
Tifa Lockhart Information
A loyal member of Avalanche─an underground organization opposed to Shinra─Tifa also runs Seventh Heaven, a popular bar in the Sector 7 slums. Although she bears a terrible grudge towards Shinra, she is not convinced that bombing mako reactors is the solution. As she struggled to reconcile her cause with her conscience, Tifa was reunited with her childhood friend, Cloud, for the first time in years...
Tifa Lockhart was born in Nibelheim alongside Cloud, who was her next-door neighbor. Tifa's personality helped her gain many friends in the village, but somehow she wasn't close to Cloud. At the age of eight, Tifa's mother died and left her furious and confused with what happened. Tifa believed that her mother went to Mt. Nibel and that she could meet her again if she was able to cross the mountain.
She then insisted on Cloud to join her, and he did follow her so that he could protect her. However, during their expedition, Tifa missed a step and the two fell off a bridge while Cloud tried to catch her. Cloud was able to seek help from the village to save Tifa, but the villagers and her father, later on, put the blame on Cloud for the accident, saying that it was his idea to climbing the mountain.
Five years later, Cloud decided to leave the town and join SOLDIER, hoping to follow Sephiroth's footsteps. But before leaving, he called out Tifa to meet at their local spot so that he could tell her about his plans and to impress her. Tifa then asked Cloud for a promise to find her and save her if ever she is in trouble. When Cloud left, Tifa would always read the newspaper to check for any article that mentions him or she would ask a Shinra employee who would visit the town and asks if they know about him. Before she moved to Midgar and the Nibelheim incident, Tifa worked as a Tour-guide in Mt. Nibel and took up Martial Arts lessons from a residential martial arts master of Nibelheim named Zangan.
Tifa Lockhart Strengths
Tifa excels at close-range combat and uses combos to deal lots of damage. Press the button to execute a normal attack, or hold it down to deliver a single powerful blow. Unbridled Strength can be used to enhance her unique ability, as well as increase the number of attacks that can be chained together. Tifa's martial techniques are effective against staggered enemies and will increase the damage bonus applied during this state.
Unique Skill: Level 1: Whirling Uppercut / Level 2: Omnistrike / Level 3: Rise and Fall
- As Tifa, you can press the button to execute the martial technique Whirling Uppercut. To access more advanced techniques, you must use Unbridled Strength to increase your chi level. At level two, you will execute Omnistrike, and at level three, Rise and Fall. Upon utilizing an advanced technique, you will expend chi and drop one level.
Her stats, like Cloud's, are very balanced, with the second-highest strength in the game after Cloud. She boasts from the highest speed in the game, which translates to a faster build-up of ATB. While having lower magic attributes than Cloud, she can fulfill the role of a spellcaster effectively, although having the second-lowest MP pool after Barret.
Tifa's main issue lies in her limited range, forcing her to position herself in order to maximize her damage potential, as well avoid enemy retaliation. On the other hand, her mobility makes up for this, and most of her attacks have very little ending lag and can be canceled into dodge rolls easily.
Tifa Lockhart Weapons
Knuckles or gloves is a weapon type that can only be equipped by Tifa Lockhart. These pairs of knuckles further boost Tifa's strength and grants critical bonuses. Check our Weapons page for a full list of all the weapons in Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Click the header to sort the table.
Tifa Lockhart Abilities
- Unbridled Strength: Strengthen basic attacks and unique abilities.
- Divekick: Leap into the air and unleash a powerful kick.
- Overpower: Use in conjunction with basic attacks to more effectively pressure enemies.
- Starshower: Rapid combination of attacks, increases strength of next attack.
- Chi Trap: Create an orb of materialized chi that deals damage on contact.
- True Strike: Powerful attack. Huge bonuses to stagger damage
Tifa Lockhart Limit Breaks
- Somersault: Launch an enemy high into the air with a Zanga-style swift kick.
- Dolphin Flurry: Unleash an unrelenting stream of acrobatic attacks. Significantly increases stagger.
Tifa Lockhart Notes & Tips
- Always make sure to keep Tifa's chi levels up through Unbridled Strength. Not only this gives her access to her more powerful finishing moves, but also extends the length of her basic attacks.
- Tifa excels at building up ATB due to her fast attack speed as well Speed stat, and consequently, she is very effective at staggering enemies.
- Whirling Uppercut can be chained into Dive Kick, allowing Tifa to keep her momentum while in the air and cancel the ending lag of the uppercut.
- Chi Trap is a powerful ability to build up stagger, especially when enemies are pressured, as they get stunned briefly. This, when combined with Starshower, allows Tifa to inflict a huge amount of damage and pressure her opponents.
Clearly a Prince fan was involved in naming that last weapon. Now if only there was a Raaaaspberry grenade